Friday, February 5, 2010

Yeast and Shoe Polish

Yeast and shoe polish. Rise and shine! Get it? Lame, lame, lame, a joke from my childhood dredged up by this horrid motel room coffee. If I have to suffer, so do you.

I'm half way home, 1500 miles down and another 1500 to go. I'm going to get wet this afternoon on the way to San Francisco but that's a given this time of year on the coast. Temperatures will be near 60F so it'll be bearable. And I'll have visions of Hunan green beans dancing in my head to motivate me. Westward Ho to Brandy Ho's! (For the epicurious: http://brandyhos.com)

I got an email this morning from a friend who's been following this soggy blog asking how I find the energy to write at the end of a long riding day. It really writes itself. I compose some of it in my head while I ride, the rest just happens. There's so much to tell, it's honestly harder to know what to leave out. (But that's always been the secret to good writing.)

Two firsts for me on this trip: traveling with a laptop (a "netbook") and writing this blog. I brought the netbook so I could service my IT clients remotely while on the road. The idea for this blog popped into my head on the shuttle bus from Vancouver to SeaTac airport and I set it up between mouthfuls of burrito in the SeaTac food court. Took all of five minutes. Like the commercial says, "so simple a caveman could do it!". (Grog make blog?)

I hope you're enjoying reading this as much as I'm enjoying the writing. It's the only way I can share the road with you, as everyone reading this is far too smart to be sitting on the back of my bike with me. And, as of this morning, I officially have two "followers"! I know that doesn't sound like much but, hey, even Jesus started small.

Carbohydrate time, kiddies, then back on the road.