Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Donut Day in West Texas

El Paso, Texas
9:15 MST

I can't think of any other reason than a regional donut day to explain why, in the 600 miles between Weatherford and El Paso, I didn't see a single law enforcement vehicle. Some would cheer, and put the pedal to the metal. But really, with 80 mph speed limits and traffic averaging 90 mph, I don't think tickets are much of an issue. I'd sure like to know, though, that there might be someone who'd stop if I had a problem.

Maybe, though, Texas lawmen, unlike west coast bikers, are smart enough to stay home when it rains like it did today. Whooo-wee, it was a wet 'un! My gear did its job, though and I stayed about as dry as could be expected. My leather gloves, in spite of the Australian Leather Waterproofing miracle paste I bought at the bike show for $20, are sodden. They are drying on the cleverly bastardized Motel 6  coat hanger jammed into the ceiling vent:
My SealSkinz gloves and socks worked a treat, keeping my hands and feet completely dry. Full marks to the BMW rainsuit, with its acres of Scotchlite and yards of Velcro. The RT's fariring fared well too, although I needed to hold 80 mph for the wind-tunnel designed fairing to work its magic.

My only grumble is the same one I always have riding in full gear. When Mother Nature calls, I have to deal with 15.5 feet of Velcro, 8.5 feet of zippers, two snaps and a hook. It's like flying: I need to check into the bathroom 45 minutes before takeoff.

It was a satisfying day today in spite of the rain and nearly running out of gas (I put 5.6 gallons into a 5.5 gallon tank). Texas hill country is pretty, even filtered through February rain and I stopped in George W. Bush's home town (Midland) and the site of the world's first rodeo (Pecos). Tonight I'm staying across the street from the world's biggest Harley Davidson dealership. And the Texas state capitol building is 15 feet higher than the one in Washington, DC. And that's Texas.

Today's ride:

The Domino's guy just got here with my pizza. Time for dinner! See you in the morning.