Saturday, February 6, 2010

We All Have Baggage

San Francisco
10:45 am

I had to sleep in this morning. Yesterday's ride wore me out. But I have been re-energized by breakfast at Mel's Drive-In, the iconic California drive-in and diner that's been around for over 60 years.


San Franciscans have consistently voted Mel's breakfasts the best in town. I agree. Great classic diner ambience, interesting menu of American comfort food and nary a cardiologist in sight. The best seat in the house is at the counter, right in front of the jukebox:

Back to baggage. There's not a lot of room on a bike, particularly with full winter riding gear, so packing efficiently is critical. I've got it down to an art form after all these years and know just how many socks, how many shirts, how much Advil (lots!) I need for a week on the road.

But being new to blogging, though, I messed up one critical thing: I'm almost out of commas. I was shocked this morning when I looked in my laptop case and found just a few left. Six, seven at the most. On two of them the little pointy thing has broken off, leaving me with two periods and a couple of apostrophes I don't need.

I'm not sure where I'll find more. Maybe an old-fashioned stationers up the coast somewhere. I thought of breaking some semi-colons in two but I really don't want to use my good tweezers for that job.

I'm kicking myself for packing so carelessly. I asked the guy at the Staples up the street and he said that there used to be an old Japanese typesetter up in Haight-Ashbury, long retired, that might fix me up. The "Comma Kazi", he called him. Turns out that he died last year. Of colon cancer.

If I can't find someone to hook me up with some commas tonight's post should be interesting.

The Redwoods are calling. Gotta go!